Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Watermelon Anyone?

The picture I chose is called "The Watermelon Race" by Palmer Hayden.  The picture itself is three guys, doing what the title says, having a watermelon eating contest.  To me this picture is meant show how hard the times were during Palmer's time of living.  Also to show that people would do anything they could to provide some entertainment when times are tough.  Something so simple as a watermelon eating contest can provide as much entertainment as a baseball game.  It is a painting done in the year 1930, it appears to be aimed at people who have, or were going through a struggle, reminding them that it does not take much, including money, to have a good time and keep a smile on your face as well as those around you.  He pretty much uses a broad range of color across the spectrum to make you feel like its a hot summer day.

3 comments:

  1. Palmer Hayden did an awesome job of painting little "snap shots" of urban life. Though not one of my favorites, it is an interesting piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this piece before and what you explain about it make me really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to write on this artwork also. I agree that Hayden meant for this piece to be a fun one that shows a form of their entertainment during his time.

    ReplyDelete